• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ginseng

ginseng

legendary mountain hermit

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Interests:as my mind unwound<br />i finally found<br />a beautiful<br />sound.<br />tightly<br />bound<br />woven around<br />gently, the ribbon floated to the ground
  • Myspace

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

The word linear comes from the Latin word linearis, which means created by lines. In mathematics, a[linear map]] or function f(x) is a function which satisfies the following two properties...

biggrin.gif

Umm.. Lines and pictures yo!!!

Like err, really Sharply drawn X's, really well drawn squares... sharp corners, large triangles, hearts, etc.

This technique probably will require more physical demand than most freehanding... Of course there are ways to adapt but I will leave that to you who needs to adapt... this is for everyone else!

Skill points required :
To effectively use lines... in no particular order...

1) Accuracy

To retrace lines really really fast to produce a sense of permanence in the structure, and of course to produce it without looking sloppy!

2) Muscle Memory

Shapes as complex as a square have to be produced over and over and over to get it sharp and look nice while maintaining speed.

3) Speed

Gotta go fast enough that it leaves trails in the sober mind. This is pretty damn fast and pretty damn exhausting... but what better way to get RIPPED than freehanding like a maniac?!?!?!

4) Fluidity

Don't forget you gotta drop these moves in while you're still in the groove. If you are repeating a structure a few times you can probably just choose any break point to leave it and go into other freehand techniques. Nothing you aren't used to right?

5) Repetition

Tracing over the same shape mad times mad fast will make it look like its "REALLY THERE". What do you mean its too hard? Wuss!!! FASTER HARDER STRONGER FASTER.

#2 Merlin

Merlin

Freehanding Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Glowsticking :P
  • Facebook

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

Ive been trying to incorporate different shape patterns like this ie: diamonds, triangles octagons hexagons etc but yes it is a whole other level of speed and accuracy with the sticks.. i love these topics you come up with ginseng they really get my mind working even more than it already is lol

#3 DreiHarteZero

DreiHarteZero

Ninja

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Interests:Glowstringing, Glowsticking, Hybrid, Liquid, Linkin Park, Tiesto, learning new styles.
  • Facebook

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Shapes are kicking my ass. Hearts can be tricky to bring back in quickly for me and I don't feel like I can transition into anything but a figure 8 from it, going from the bottom point to the top of the heart.

#4 cynicdave

cynicdave

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

to produce a shape like a triangle you would have to move at an extremely fast speed (be able to trace the same exact place 4 times in rotation in less than a second) AND be extremely precise.

i guess if you could speed up a video you can see it, but i don't know anyone personally who can move that fast.

#5 Tico

Tico

Her Cox of the Grammar Gestapo

• GSC Staff Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • Interests:Rowing, Law, poetry, Glowstringing (in any order)

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

this maybe a bit of a cheating way for the triangle, but you could also just hold three glowsticks in a triangle shape tongue.gif
But yes, you would have to be able to move extremely fast for this I think (haven't tried it).
Cheers

#6 Tritan

Tritan

Veteran Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Trance, Glowsticking, Games, Game Design, and making friends.
  • Myspace

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:47 PM

You probably don't need to go fast enough to make a solid line / trail for the shape. The mind has an amazing ability to "fill in" the blanks where the trails leave off, especially for repeating patterns/shapes. If you leave enough of a trail and repeat the pattern a couple times, it's very easy to tell what it is. Stomach traces are a great example of a circle (or square, depending on how the sticker chooses to do it.) that doesn't have to be done extremely fast for the viewer to understand the shape. Helicopters are good examples too, obviously the faster these are done the more obvious the shape is, but I think finding the nice middle ground will allow you the same effect without burning all of your energy in a short window of time. wink.gif

#7 ginseng

ginseng

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Interests:as my mind unwound<br />i finally found<br />a beautiful<br />sound.<br />tightly<br />bound<br />woven around<br />gently, the ribbon floated to the ground
  • Myspace

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (cynicdave @ Jun 2 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to produce a shape like a triangle you would have to move at an extremely fast speed (be able to trace the same exact place 4 times in rotation in less than a second) AND be extremely precise.

i guess if you could speed up a video you can see it, but i don't know anyone personally who can move that fast.

I ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE!!!!!

---

Hmm actually it doesn't seem that hard, I can do two triangle halfs (one stick each half) 2x repetition for 1 second intervals and I think the trail is strong already. 3x to 4x would lead to overexertion biggrin.gif

I suppose at larger size it would be more difficult, currently I am talking like 1.7 ft per side equilateral.

Edited by ginseng, 02 June 2009 - 03:29 PM.

#8 ginseng

ginseng

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Tritan @ Jun 2 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You probably don't need to go fast enough to make a solid line / trail for the shape. The mind has an amazing ability to "fill in" the blanks where the trails leave off, especially for repeating patterns/shapes. If you leave enough of a trail and repeat the pattern a couple times, it's very easy to tell what it is. Stomach traces are a great example of a circle (or square, depending on how the sticker chooses to do it.) that doesn't have to be done extremely fast for the viewer to understand the shape. Helicopters are good examples too, obviously the faster these are done the more obvious the shape is, but I think finding the nice middle ground will allow you the same effect without burning all of your energy in a short window of time. wink.gif

Word !!!

#9 ginseng

ginseng

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:48 PM

Ok So I am going to develop this triangle right now in text and film it by the end of the week. I'm gonna do it 420 times slow today, then 420 times faster tomorrow, then 420 times faster the day after that. Not in multitude of speed but in practice repetition lol.

The Design i think im' going to go with is as follows for those who are interested. This triangle will only be viewable from the FRONT. I will work on a 2 stick pyramid illusion next year sleep.gif.

1. Starting position can be transitioned directly from Freezing a figure 8 in this position.

/ \

2. I will then maintain the two sticks

----------------------

along that line as the bottom which they share and move them towards the middle where they will meet parallel and crossing over

||

my hands will cross and end in this position 3.

/ x \

4. Then proceed upwards.
TO FORM THE VERTEX!!!

^

Where I will rotate them ... and bring them back down to the original... and repeat..

--

To make sure the size is right horizontally I am going to practice in the constraint of a doorway... using the top as the high vertex, and where i will tape two pieces of tape on the sides to maintain the base. .. And of course one on top ..

--

Revelation::

If you keep the triangle small it is much more likely to be successful (using my method described above excluding the doorway size)

The method of producing the side angles and vertex prevent any type of rotation of sticks at cornes that would escape the perimeter of the light triangle produced. by lower the height, you can actually fill in the entire triangle..

X's represent the vertex inversion area which is equal to the height of one glowstick at an angle plus a little bit

^
//x\\
//xxx\\
// empty\\
//////|||\\\\\\
////////|||\\\\\\\\

The empty space in the middle is optional to be left open.. u can stick ur eyeball in there, and Bam u are the illuminati
illuminati!!! BAM

Edited by ginseng, 02 June 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#10 Merlin

Merlin

Freehanding Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

I wanted to film this to see if i am doing the motions right because im not patient enough to wait for yours lol

is that the way you were explaining it? thats how i interpreted it

now i just need to actually practice it lol

#11 Azzie

Azzie

I'm a lady first...a bitch second.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts
  • Interests:What forum am I on?
  • Facebook

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

Welcome back ginny with the crazy concepts...honestly this sounds good in theory but I'd really want to see how fast you'd have to go for it to work...I think this would work better with photons/conjuring because of the intensity of the trails.

#12 ginseng

ginseng

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

merlin u got the vertex right, but the bottom is not... i do not rotate the sticks, i move them at an angle horizontally towards the center while changing the angle slightly as i go, so that they invert direction. you do not want round corners tongue.gif as you have tried it out yourself, watch ur video over... notice when u turn the sticks in one diretion they end up round.. just avoid that one and you can also do the triangle that way rather than angular stick base.. look at my diagram hahah..

------------- <= linear base trace

//////llllll\\\\\\ <=== Motion captured angular base

azzie i dont' think this is crazy at all, rather quite practical but unapproached...

Edited by ginseng, 02 June 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#13 Tritan

Tritan

Veteran Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Trance, Glowsticking, Games, Game Design, and making friends.
  • Myspace

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

It's way more practical than the black holes were but eventually, even they were brought to life. smile.gif

Good first take Merlin. Looks pretty good already.

#14 Merlin

Merlin

Freehanding Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (ginseng @ Jun 2 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
merlin u got the vertex right, but the bottom is not... i do not rotate the sticks, i move them at an angle horizontally towards the center while changing the angle slightly as i go, so that they invert direction. you do not want round corners tongue.gif as you have tried it out yourself, watch ur video over... notice when u turn the sticks in one diretion they end up round.. just avoid that one and you can also do the triangle that way rather than angular stick base.. look at my diagram hahah..

------------- <= linear base trace

//////llllll\\\\\\ <=== Motion captured angular base

azzie i dont' think this is crazy at all, rather quite practical but unapproached...

ok i get what you are saying, so instead of turning them inward i should just drop them back to the linear point to create the sharp angle...thats funny because of the motion it almost forms a "tri-force" type shape, ie: At the top of the triangle there is a cross over zone for the sticks (this is inevitable) and the dropping motion on the bottom 2 corners would simulate that same zone only with a single stick smile.gif yay i love new stuff!!!!!!

#15 cynicdave

cynicdave

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

merlin i think your method has good potential.

maybe also try both going the same way.

#16 Merlin

Merlin

Freehanding Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (cynicdave @ Jun 3 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
merlin i think your method has good potential.

maybe also try both going the same way.

yea it works but then i adjusted for ginseng's recommendation and honestly it's easier because i can keep the triangle going and have straight edges

and i will have to mess around with that idea it could add another dimension to it... almost as a trace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users