Photo

Why do teens rebel against their parents?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 InVaZn

InVaZn

Post Addict

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Glowstringing, Piano, Badminton

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

I'm sure you all have gone through this phase, or are currently going through it.

Question is, why do we do it? Is there something that makes us instinctively rebel, or is it the effect of today's modern society on teens, and parenting?

Maybe it's because teens believe that they already know what is best for themselves, even though their parents know that they are wrong, or the parents are over protective, and the teen is mature enough to make their own decisions.

#2 burl3yb0y

burl3yb0y

Glowsticking newb

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

Because they tell us to do lame stuff?

#3 .:Sw3rls:.

.:Sw3rls:.

What about all my points D: ?!?!?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

because i can't always relate to my parents, we don't have the same experiences, and memories and we both think in different ways.

My dad thinks he's always right, my mom thinks i'm always lying, and i don't care what they think.

My dad has an attitude of if you start something, don't stop halfway through, my mom has an attitude of do something when i tell you too, and i have the i'll get it done eventually attitude, etc

stupid stuff like that

#4 prix

prix

World's Biggest Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

god i love my new phone typing on it right now.

anyway, i feel that it is because parents have an idea of growing up that is based around whatever era they grew up in. todays teen sees the world completely different than an adult does, and when there is disagreement between the two sides, it is seen as they teenager rebeling.

its not that the teen is necessarily wrong, its just that the adult has the majority vote and can refuse to see other points of view.

i am not going to go any further until there are other points of view. and goddam this phone is nice

#5 snydekid

snydekid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

Perhaps because we think of ourselves as strong enough to make our own decisions, but they don't see it that way. Being too overprotective creates the need to rebel to show that we don't actually need them watching our every step.

#6 JoeKinney

JoeKinney

Glowing Physicist

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

Isn't it part of our leaving the nest?

We start to crave independence, our own decisions, our own experiences, etc.

We start to develope our own wisdom, ideas of what's right or wrong, our own values.

Then eventually we're mature and leave to be our own adults.

#7 Jin Smylez

Jin Smylez

Bruva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:Music, life, happiness, friends, family
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

They give us rules that people they're age follow, kids follow different rules.

Example: Most kids are going to experiment with drugs. Parents say no because they already had their chance to try them. Kids will still do it because they want to.

Thats the main reason kids rebel. They feel, "If I want to do something, who's gunna stop me?"

At least thats what I think.

#8 Jaimison

Jaimison

GS.C Traveler

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Interests:everything that's interesting.
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:21 AM

Not sure if you guys want the scientific reason or not, but it's a one of the phases in a the levels of maturity in the next level of mental development. The age 16-25 is considered to be the rebellious stage (25 might seem high, but that is the age the the brain has fully matured and developed).

Of course those are theories and I haven't studied a specific one. But they mainly talk about rebelling in general, not just parents. The only reason I apply it to this is because it makes sense, since in most cases they are your most present form of authority.

smile.gif

#9 Yaaqob

Yaaqob

Post Brothel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

I do it bc I'm punk rock, and thats what punk rock does!

#10 Guest_Honeygirl_*

Guest_Honeygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

I guess its different for everyone. I think its mainly because teenagers are caught in between childhood & adulthood. They aren't adults yet but they REALLY WANT that freedom, independence, etc. They are maturing & becoming that adult they want to be but they technically aren't adults to their parents soo.. they rebel because they want to be free from all the childish rules placed on them.

#11 Cheeks1014

Cheeks1014

Cheeks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:-music, kandi making, talking, reading, listening
    -im also my high school MASCOT lol
    seriously (:

-I love to cook
    -I have two kitties named hazel and olive
    -feel absolutely free to IM/PM me and talk, i like having conversations with ppl about anything.
  • Myspace

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

well i think most teens rebel against their parents depending on the way parents treat them, captive or freely with specific arrangements. some of the teens i know rebel because their parents hold them in and it can drive anyone being held in to wanna go against that. kinda also the reason prison riots start, nobody wants to be held captive. I think kids just wanna push their freedom farther and they end up doing senseless things that often get them into trouble...then they get "grounded" and more rebelling happens. its like a cycle.

Edited by Cheeks1014, 12 August 2009 - 12:36 PM.

#12 shockfever

shockfever

:)

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic design, Fine arts, animation
  • Facebook

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Boundary testing?

As the teens brain develops. they become more aware of their own inner workings and motivations and start to see their parents as other people, instead of just as "parents". They start to see these people's flaws but don't quite know how to handle it. They start to think more abstractly, but without the maturity of an adult mind.

It's like small animals play-fighting. They feel the urge to test their boundaries.

I used to get really annoyed at my parents because they gave me nothing to rebel against. That in itself became something to get mad at them for, indirectly.

#13 Flecherd

Flecherd

The Young Philosopher

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:V

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

My parents are figures of power.
And I must fight the power!

Nah but my dad is a backstabber and my mom is a drama queen, idk how I came out of this but chow.
When I was smaller I didn't really know what a backstabber, or a drama queen was so I just went with what they said. Now after a short 15 years of life I have seen other people like them, and other types of people. From that experience I know that my parents arent the the type of people you should be listening to. Except in those obvious cases like taking out the car in the middle of the night to go to Derek with teh mustaches party. lol

but nah, I still listen to my parents but only when what they are asking me has knowledge and logic behind it. If it doesn't then I'll ask for a valid reason and if one cant be provided then I respond with a valid reason why I shouldn't listen to them. If I'm going to be disobedient, I'll at least provide a reason. I'm not a dick lol.

but cha, thats me. All kids are different. One of my friends doesn't listen to his parents cause he is somewhat spoiled. One of my other friends doesn't listen to his parents because he was adopted and feels resentment towards them for not telling him until like last year I think it was. Everyone has thier story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users