Photo

How to make a Deadmau5 costume, helmet, head?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cynicdave

cynicdave

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

First... who the heck is deadmau5? Well, first here is his website:
www.deadmau5.com

from wikipedia:
Deadmau5 (pronounced "Deadmouse"; real name Joel Zimmerman) is a progressive house and electro house producer from Toronto, Canada. .

He is famous for his big red head costume. This is what it looks like (the costume, not Deadmau5):

My question is, I know Halloween has passed, but do you guys have any ideas on how someone could go about making a deadmau5 costume? Maybe just the head and helmet portion, or the full costume. It could be fun to try. maybe you can start off with the basic helmet for the costume, and then put on ears and then put fabric over it?

Any DIY or costume experts here?

#2 melvenorc12

melvenorc12

Brian

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts
  • Interests:Glowsticking.
  • Myspace

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

I think for deamau5's helmet you can use those tap on/tap off lights for his eyes hahahah.

#3 akamrchubs

akamrchubs

4|{4mr(hµb$

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

found it on youtube. my friend tried to make it once but his dog chewed it up before he finished it...

Edited by akamrchubs, 04 November 2009 - 01:24 PM.

#4 zin

zin

dancerbater.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

I helped my buddy make one for halloween last year.

What he did was he found a hollow foam ball that he just sliced open the appropriate holes. We wanted to cover it in felt to give it the proper fuzzy look, but we ran out of time so he just painted it.

For the ears, I believe he paper mached cardboard shapes. I'll find pictures and a link to the foam ball.

For eyes, you could take those click lights and place just the part where the light shines through at the top. We were also toying around with placing RGB microlights in there rather than using just plain white light.

As for the rest of the costume, when deadmau5 first started wearing the head, he always had on a suit and tie. The tie was usually the red 8-bit tie found on sites like thinkgeek.com. At TAO he had on a white suit and his head was decorated to look like a mirror ball.
Like So:

Edited by zin, 04 November 2009 - 01:38 PM.

#5 Ph0toN

Ph0toN

Who Says You Can't Freehand With Table Lamps?

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts
  • Interests:Dancing, Music, Film

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

I actually had this discussion with someone on aim last week lol. I was given this link: http://www.instructa...dmau5-Mau5head/

In that one the head's made out of a giant hampster ball. It's not as big as deadmau5's actual mouse head, but it looks just as good. I think to make it bigger you'd have to use something large and round as a mold (like a disco ball) and paper mache all over it, cut it in half to get it off of the ball, then make the needed holes in it, and paper mache it back into a solid piece. Maybe even make a hidden flap in the back so it can close to seal completely around your neck.

#6 DizzyxD

DizzyxD

Veteran Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:-music mostly everything except country but i like edm the most<br />-cars<br />-parties<br />-having fun
  • Facebook

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (melvenorc12 @ Nov 4 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think for deamau5's helmet you can use those tap on/tap off lights for his eyes hahahah.

this is a great idea

#7 Cody

Cody

AKA: Ange

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:37 AM

Griever made one for halloween last year out of paper mache. I remember he used those tap lights for eyes, it worked pretty well.

#8 Adrillf

Adrillf

gs.c's village idiot

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:02 AM

For the mouth, I would strongly suggest a tight mesh that you can still see through.

You can use staples, pins or whatever to cover up the mouth, but that's up to you how you'd like to do that, either way, you're most likely going to want to stretch it across the mouth hole as tight as you can go seeing as it'll help you see better.

#9 zin

zin

dancerbater.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Adrillf @ Nov 6 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the mouth, I would strongly suggest a tight mesh that you can still see through.

You can use staples, pins or whatever to cover up the mouth, but that's up to you how you'd like to do that, either way, you're most likely going to want to stretch it across the mouth hole as tight as you can go seeing as it'll help you see better.

If you're going to use a cloth mesh, I suggest using some wires or something to retain a curve-like shape; otherwise it just looks like the mouth is caving in.

I know some people had luck using steel wire mesh for the mouth rather than a cloth based one.

#10 CHeNeRiC

CHeNeRiC

Veteran Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

I also wanna learn to do this !

#11 Phenomenon

Phenomenon

FEAST! Apon my magnificance!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:Glowstringing, Handles, Sushi, LOUD music, Cars(JDM mostly), Coffee, Dallas Cowboys :D, late nights, Express Graphic Tee's! Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien!, Video games!, Cats!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:39 PM

at massive me and cheeks decided to count how many deadmau5 costumes there were,
we almost made a game of it XD

we got to 7

IMO deadmau costumes are nearly as overrated as deadmau5 himself.

Edited by Phenomenon, 06 November 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#12 djsolarflare

djsolarflare

loves me some glowsticks for dinner

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:DJing, producing trance/techno, poi, glowstringing, playing piano drums, skating, hanging with friends, meeting new stringers and poi spinners
  • Myspace

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Phenomenon @ Nov 6 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at massive me and cheeks decided to count how many deadmau5 costumes there were,
we almost made a game of it XD

we got to 7

IMO deadmau costumes are nearly as overrated as deadmau5 himself.

haha thank you >,<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users