Photo

Sponsorship - Getting Paid To Glowstick?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ph0toN

Ph0toN

Who Says You Can't Freehand With Table Lamps?

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts
  • Interests:Dancing, Music, Film

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

There are some who believe that it should be okay to be a sponsored glowsticker, to be paid to glowstick. This in more ways than one goes directly against our ideals here on Glowsticking.com. The purpose of this article is to address this issue and the multiple reasons we are against it.

Glowsticking is an art that developed out of the rave culture, a culture which is based on loving and sharing freely with all who partake in it. In its basic sense, everyone in the rave culture is considered an equal regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, economical standing, political viewpoints, skill, talent, style or a myriad of other differences. In this sense of equality, this coming together of peoples from different sects of society with widely varying viewpoints, everyone's contributions are equally welcomed into the culture. There are some however that wish to stand out from the crowd and place themselves above the rest, destroying the fundamental equality that created the rave culture and continues to bind it together.

There are multiple ways individuals attempt to do this, from battling and trying to prove that they are better at an art form than others, to jumping up on a stage to grab the attention of the crowd. Even many DJ's have in recent years fallen into this way of thinking, becoming what many would call the highlight of an event, where in days past the DJ at an event was just another person who was enjoying the party and just happened to be the one providing the music. A more recent attempt made by some people is to become sponsored. In other words, to be paid to dance at a party.

When someone becomes sponsored, while their intentions may initially be good, they've started down a road that is slowly leading our beloved culture of friendship and equality toward a point where it will no longer be about love for one another, but about dollar signs. To add to this, as money becomes involved tensions begin to mount between rival entrepreneurs. As one person gains a top money making slot, another person is shoved a step down the ladder. As time goes by and tensions build between people fighting for the top slots, competition ensues.

Competition has no place in the rave scene, as it defies the very foundations the scene is built on. By competing people are no longer equals, but rivals seeking to be better than one another. In addition, by selling an art such as glowsticking one is no longer sharing something they love doing just for the sake of sharing it, but selling something for a profit. It becomes downgraded from an enjoyable pastime to that of a commercial job. Do we really want to see a culture of love, caring and equality dissolve into the dirty aspects of capitalism?

Here on glowsticking.com, while our primary focus is on glowsticking, we also look at the bigger picture. One of our driving goals is to protect the culture we've grown to love. This includes not only glowsticking, but all forms of light related dance that have evolved out of the rave scene, from conjuring, orbiting and gloving to lightshows in general regardless of the medium used to perform said lightshows.

To sum this up: The rave scene is about equality. Getting paid causes rivalry. Rivalry causes competition. Competition causes inequality. Inequality does not fit in the rave scene.

Thank you for taking the time to read this article. We hope you will take our ideals into consideration and help us in the quest to preserve our beloved culture.

Edited by Ph0toN, 12 March 2010 - 01:24 PM.

#2 BxCommando

BxCommando

Get TRICKY!

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:Glowsticks, Martial arts, Tumbling, Videogames, Rubix cube, Writing/Reading, Intellectuality, Dreams

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

EVERYONE needs to read this.

#3 Aden

Aden

The Only Cure

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

Excellent job.

#4 Trance-Rckr

Trance-Rckr

Another night out, another dance floor.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Artist, DJ, Glowsticker.
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

This needs to be stickied

#5 Afro-Nitr0

Afro-Nitr0

Kirby's amry of darkness minion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with friends, glowstringing, and EDM =)
  • Myspace

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Ph0toN @ Mar 12 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To sum this up: The rave scene is about equality. Getting paid causes rivalry. Rivalry causes competition. Competition causes inequality. Inequality does not fit in the rave scene.

Hit the nail with a fucking hammer.

Amazing article photon =D

#6 Ellezdey-RetrO

Ellezdey-RetrO

Post Whore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Very very VERY well-said smile.gif This has always been an issue that i would hesitate to discuss with friends cuz of an uncertainty in how to explain, but this article provides proper dialect to efficiently get the message across. Word to your mother yo biggrin2.gif

#7 cynicdave

cynicdave

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

need this posted in the articles system

#8 Ph0toN

Ph0toN

Who Says You Can't Freehand With Table Lamps?

• GSC Staff Support
  • 5,691 posts
  • Interests:Dancing, Music, Film

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (cynicdave @ Mar 12 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
need this posted in the articles system

Already done, did it before I posted it here smile.gif

#9 Demo

Demo

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Interests:Being

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes! Right on the head, like Nitr0 said. :D

Edited by Demo, 12 March 2010 - 04:10 PM.

#10 got glow?

got glow?

Always down for a meet-up!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Hmmmm, glowsticks, trance, techno, sleeping, glowsticking, sleeping more, video games, eating, movies, anything that glows! Always down for a meet-up: cell/text - 754-244-7767

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

What can I say, Ph0t0n knows his stuff biggrin.gif

And I agree, EVERYONE needs to read this!

#11 DreiHarteZero

DreiHarteZero

Ninja

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Interests:Glowstringing, Glowsticking, Hybrid, Liquid, Linkin Park, Tiesto, learning new styles.
  • Facebook

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

Perfect job man. Love it!

#12 fleshcap

fleshcap

Poster

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

It's ideals like this that make GSC such a valuable asset to the rave culture. Raves are sacred and the act of glowsticking is an expression of its sacredness.

I am so glad I discovered a group of people on the web that uphold such values. thumbsup.gif

#13 Ally

Ally

Poster

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Playing video games,glowsticking,movies,tv,having a good time.
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:00 AM

ty for posting this everyone needs to see this.

#14 Rorok

Rorok

I live above 150 bpms

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

Very very well written. but in a way i disagree with the statement "Getting paid causes rivalry" like do you mean that from a competition stand point or a performing stand point, im just a little confused on the statement.

#15 Demo

Demo

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Interests:Being

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (Rorok @ Mar 14 2010, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very very well written. but in a way i disagree with the statement "Getting paid causes rivalry" like do you mean that from a competition stand point or a performing stand point, im just a little confused on the statement.

I think the fact that it causes any sort of rivalry or conflict is bad, so either or. :D

Edited by Demo, 14 March 2010 - 01:30 AM.

#16 Azzie

Azzie

I'm a lady first...a bitch second.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts
  • Interests:What forum am I on?
  • Facebook

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:28 AM

Really well written and well thought out. Kudos!

#17 Thesan

Thesan

Veteran Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Mythology...
  • Facebook

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, I've said many a time that I hate money, and I couldn't have put the reasons for it any better than this. It is said one should never mix business with pleasure....

This should definitely be stickied.

#18 D86

D86

Danny

• GSC Staff Member
  • 6,511 posts
  • Interests:Your mom's on my top 8!
  • Myspace

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

Great article. Very to the point.

#19 Cody

Cody

AKA: Ange

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

I still feel like this subject could use a little more discussion though. Theres still a fine line determining exactly what it means to be "paid" to glowstick.

I personally have been let into parties for free and been bought drinks a few times before to give a few stage performances inside which was all in good fun. I know people on the east coast have done similar things at clubs as well or so I've heard.

Does that count as being "paid" to glowstick or does it fall under some other category?

#20 BxCommando

BxCommando

Get TRICKY!

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:Glowsticks, Martial arts, Tumbling, Videogames, Rubix cube, Writing/Reading, Intellectuality, Dreams

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

Why all of a sudden are all these companies sponsporing kids with lights?
anyone know? or am i just slow

And woahhhhh
someone just shot some HUGEEEE ass fireworks off in front of my house WTF?!@

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users