25 replies to this topic

#1 Aqua

Aqua

Aqua

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Glowstringing

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

OK, so it has never failed that whenever I got to some sort of massive or rave that I get asked that question, "Are you rolling?"
I remember meandering the threads and finding a topic of how to start up conversations at raves, and this is how every stranger seems to start up a conversation. Does anyone else find this true?

#2 Demo

Demo

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Interests:Being

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

Yes, happens quite a bit.
The general sterotype of anyone that goes to events/raves is that you're going to the event in order to do drugs. Like people that go to metal shows all like to drink and/or mosh, or people go to reggae shows to smoke. Those things may happen at the event, but doesn't mean that all of the participants are doing so. Just because most people do, doesn't mean everyone does. But the majority is what society looks at, which is quite unfortunate.

People can go to an event because they want to go to an event. The fact that there are people who actually go to events to roll is what is killing the scene and overall outlook of raves/events/eventgoers.

What's really lame, is when you tell them that you're not rolling, and they say, "Awwww, why not?". ಠ_ಠ

Edited by Demo, 09 June 2010 - 06:52 PM.

#3 Shizzy

Shizzy

Hentai -desu~

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Your mom. c: And Demo's Live-Action Hentai Movies... And glowsticking. :D

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:37 AM

^ What he said. ._. Plus, have in mind that everyone who asks you that is either already rolling or looking to score some E. lol

They are killing the scene. :<

ಠ_ಠ And Shizzy is not amused by it.

Edited by Shizzy, 10 June 2010 - 01:38 AM.

#4 DaRula

DaRula

Veteran Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:my kids thelonious 3rd and thaddeus ,i love vocal trance, getting money,poi
  • Facebook

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:12 AM

lol man people ask me all the time I guess if you spinn poi you have to be rolling lol it's just my style of dance to the music I love

#5 cynicdave

cynicdave

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,606 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

because it's an excellent question all around:

for predators , they ask this for girls before they hit on them

for other rollers, they ask this before they start hanging out massages and light shows

for sober people, they want to ask this before they start getting too touchy feely

for girls, they want to either know if they want to e-hoe it with you or avoid you

for glowstickers, they want to know if they should or should not crack ultras near the general viscnity of your eyes

for cops, to see if they should arrest you

for medics, to see how they should treat you.

#6 Trance-Rckr

Trance-Rckr

Another night out, another dance floor.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Artist, DJ, Glowsticker.
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

Sadly I get this question alot, especially when I am wearing all of my kandi. I had someone ask me that at a club not too long ago:

dude - Heya, you want any shrooms?
me - Nah, im sober
dude - really?
me-yeah...
dude - ... You look like you would love some. (walks away)
me - >_<

Its annoying that people just assume that everyone there is on a substance, and I get extremely tired when people think Im not having fun without them. I usually get the last laugh as Im enjoying the headliner DJ, dancing my ass off and loving life, while they are off totally missing the amazing vibes that they crave so much.

#7 Dogman

Dogman

I remember the future.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Interests:epic spaces, epic places, interesting faces, wordless gazes.

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

UMF 09';

at least 3 guys; "Hey you got any pills?"

me; "No."

3+ guys; "you know who hasany?"

me; *boot to the head*

Edited by Dogman, 12 June 2010 - 11:24 AM.

#8 JoeKinney

JoeKinney

Glowing Physicist

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

Even at Disney's Grad Nite I was asked if I was rolling five times just cuz I can actually dance.

#9 Azzie

Azzie

I'm a lady first...a bitch second.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts
  • Interests:What forum am I on?
  • Facebook

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

There is no doubt that rolling is associated with the culture so when you are around it; unfortunately it's something that's going to come up for a number of reasons some of which Dave listed.

There is also a new wave of people hitting the scene (at least out here in ny) who don't have any idea of what to expect but the stereotypes so that's their way of trying to come to their own conclusions about the scene.

I would say, while it is frustrating it makes no sense really to get angry. A polite no will suffice and the next time they see you, they won't have to ask and maybe will ask more educated questions.

#10 KittehRaver

KittehRaver

Toss Enthusiast

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

I was asked this several times because I was sweating so much and then one dude with pockets full of tabs tried to convince me they were good for you

#11 fleshcap

fleshcap

Poster

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Rolling is an inseperable part of our culture. That's not to imply that everyone should roll. I'm just saying that it is part of what makes raves what they are. Don't feel left out if you don't roll, but don't demonize those who do. Some of my deepest spiritual experiences have occurred while rolling. Raves are sacred. Thanks for making them that way...rolls or no rolls. I love you all.

#12 BaroqueStar

BaroqueStar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Gym, Raving, Friends.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:56 AM

Rolling is an inseperable part of our culture. That's not to imply that everyone should roll. I'm just saying that it is part of what makes raves what they are. Don't feel left out if you don't roll, but don't demonize those who do. Some of my deepest spiritual experiences have occurred while rolling. Raves are sacred. Thanks for making them that way...rolls or no rolls. I love you all.

Perfectly said imo. I feel as long as the people that do roll from time to time at raves are able to control themselves and not act like an idiot, it shouldn't be completely looked down upon.

Edited by BaroqueStar, 10 October 2010 - 09:58 AM.

#13 Tico

Tico

Her Cox of the Grammar Gestapo

• GSC Staff Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Interests:Rowing, Law, poetry, Glowstringing (in any order)

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

The problem to me seems to be that a large part of those who do drugs do not know how to control themselves.

Cheers

#14 jasonromulus

jasonromulus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

That happens to me more often than not. Be it at a rave or just practicing in my free time at school, people always ask me if I'm rollin'. It frustrates me to no end that most people see glowsticking and drugs as a synonymous pair. Most of my classmates are of the mindset that you can't be a glowsticker if you're not stoned out of your mind, and I've spent the last 2 years of my high school career trying to kill that common belief as best as possible. Alas, my words have fallen on deaf ears and most of my classmates are as shortsighted as ever... Friends who listen are nice though...

Life is fickle...

#15 Tico

Tico

Her Cox of the Grammar Gestapo

• GSC Staff Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Interests:Rowing, Law, poetry, Glowstringing (in any order)

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Jasonromulus, I'd like to point you to our rules about sticking in high school, available here.

Cheers

#16 HardFlow

HardFlow

Poster

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:glowstringing, math, physics, books, meditation

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

That happens to me more often than not. Be it at a rave or just practicing in my free time at school, people always ask me if I'm rollin'. It frustrates me to no end that most people see glowsticking and drugs as a synonymous pair. Most of my classmates are of the mindset that you can't be a glowsticker if you're not stoned out of your mind, and I've spent the last 2 years of my high school career trying to kill that common belief as best as possible. Alas, my words have fallen on deaf ears and most of my classmates are as shortsighted as ever... Friends who listen are nice though...

Life is fickle...

Yeah you shouldn't be glowsticking in high school... tico gave a link. >.>
that should be fairly obvious to anyone on this site XD

#17 Sticks101

Sticks101

Veteran Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

You know, this topic caught my eye because i cant remember the last night i went out and freehanded ANYWHERE without being asked if i'm rolling or i'm on something. I have to say from a weird backwards sort of point of view like mine, i'd be almost insulted if someone DIDNT ask. Two reasons behind that realization poped in my mind. 1 you are so good that you must be on something....... Well no i'm not on anything, but the compliment is nice, especially when you see the respect grow in there mind because you can freehand sober and make it look good. 2 if you are freehanding but having a really off night, they might ask you that just to make sure you are doing okay, i've personally had to go to the med tent at 2 events in 5+ years of freehanding, but people caring is ALWAYS a good thing.

#18 Setsuki

Setsuki

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Music, Dolls, Origami, Art, Dancing, reptiles (mostly snakes)... and a lot of other things. :) I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to likes.

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

Resurrecting a dead thread... but...

I thought this was an interesting topic because last night my husband asked me if getting into glowsticking meant I was going to start doing drugs. >_< I told him that there's no reason why I should do drugs to glowstick because I just love dancing and things that glow so it's only natural that I like it and he told me to "be careful" because "all glowstickers are on drugs", and that's "common knowledge" since obviously, nobody could be into glowsticking unless they are on shrooms ore LSD. :( I was wondering how true the stereotype was, but it seems that a large group of people are like me - into the artistic dancing aspect, and that pleases me.

#19 Aquilae

Aquilae

Facebook.com/DJAquilae

• GSC Interim Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Producing and playing Trance music
  • Facebook

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

last night my husband asked me if getting into glowsticking meant I was going to start doing drugs. >_<
... "be careful" because "all glowstickers are on drugs", and that's "common knowledge" since obviously, nobody could be into glowsticking unless they are on shrooms ore LSD. :(

That is unfortunate. You should educate him and tell him you absolutely do not need to be on drugs to appreciate glowsticking. It's not all about "waving bright lights in your face"... seems like he doesn't know/appreciate the technical aspect in it. Here, show him this video:

I was wondering how true the stereotype was, but it seems that a large group of people are like me - into the artistic dancing aspect, and that pleases me.

I would say this entire community is like you - we are all into the artistic aspect and respect it as a dance and an artform.

#20 Demo

Demo

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Interests:Being

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:28 AM

Those meetups at Clutch's old house were good times. :V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users