19 replies to this topic

#1 Rage

Rage

The most unknown 1000+ poster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

http://blogs.laweekl...-teenager-dies/

"A 15-year-old girl who attended an Exposition Park mega-rave died of a suspected drug overdose Tuesday, on a day when headlines were dedicated to mayoral and police concerns about the more than 200 medical emergencies and reported 65 arrests related to two-day event at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The death was reported at 4:55 p.m. at California Hospital Medical Center and hospital officials contacted the county coroner's office about an hour later, said corner's Lt. Larry Dietz.

Fox 11 News reported that the girl's family today decided to remove her from life support, apparently after she hadn't shown signs of life for some time. The family told CBS2 News that her organs would be donated.

The website for the 14th annual Electric Daisy Carnival stated entrants had to be 16 and up, although many such events are listed as "all ages." California law is a little vague in that area, establishing a nighttime curfew for those under 18 but allowing many exceptions, including arts and school events.

The Coliseum's commission was called to to a special meeting to review whether promoters of such events have undertaken proper heath and safety precautions.

"On behalf of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission, I express our dismay and deep sadness on the death of the young woman who attended the Electric Daisy Carnival,'' Barry A. Sanders, president of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission said. "We send our sincere condolences to her family."

Although drugs were suspected in the girl's death, the exact cause of death won't be known until coroner's investigators complete an autopsy.

"It will be a couple of days before the doctors get the case,'' Dietz said. "The big question is what kind of drugs are involved because drugs are pretty much free flowing at a rave party.''

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa this week questioned whether such public venues were the right places for kids to party.

"We're going to have to assess whether or not these events will occur in the future,'' he said.

The event, featuring Will.i.am, Moby and Deadmau5, claimed to have drawn 185,000 people over Friday and Saturday."

Let's deal with all the necessities first. Yeah she was underage and stupid to even go. Probably a first time drug user. That could have been prevented if she had older friends, yata yata. I'm not arguing that the death was tragic or whatever - people go to the hospital all the time.

The issue that I have is that...do you think this would have ever happened if the rave scene wasn't pushed so mainstream? Or maybe if Insomniac stopped making raves so commercialized by doing things such as packing so many people in a tiny area? At least raise the age limit to 18 for this stuff.

The attendance from EDC this year and last year easily grew by 50,000 attendees if I remember reading the figures correctly.

For me, massives aren't fun anymore. There's too many damn people. Sure, I know it's called a massive for a reason, but the growth of massives, in Southern California in particular, is getting ridiculous. Is there such thing as "too big of a party", at least in California?

Because Insomniac may have just thrown it. And the government is going to be all over them now. It just sucks now because its news stories like this that will ultimately reflect onto the glowsticking art. Glowsticking is tied to the rave scene at the current moment; it'll be interesting to see how the mainstream rave movement reacts with...mainstream news.

Edited by Rage, 01 July 2010 - 10:02 PM.

#2 zin

zin

dancerbater.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

Let's be honest here, we all saw this coming. The Rave/EDM Scene is cyclical (I use the term Rave loosely). This isn't the first time Insomniac or any other party promoter has had to deal with a negative impact regarding a death from one of their parties. (ETD.pop 2010 had two afterwards; Nocturnal 2001 had one; JujuBeats some years ago had a car full of ravers fall off a mountain...)

Anyone remember Nocturnal 2001 when that random e-tard wandered off into the desert only to be found dead? Insomniac didn't have to, but they postponed Nocturnal the next year. After that year, massives became stationary instead of switching venues every year. Nocturnal and EDC stayed at the NOS Center for years. Insomniac is full of smart folks who can and will get over the negative media impact like in the past.

I may be a bit biased, but from my eyes Insomniac had so many precautions in place for an event this large. The venue (not just the Coliseum, but the entire Exposition Park) was organized in a way that it COULD have held 200,000+, but our scene is full of idiots that for some stupid reason NEED to get onto the Coliseum Floor. EACH individual ticket said that floor access was not guaranteed. You don't need to go to the field to experience the music. I'm pretty sure they didn't even know who was spinning. EVERY single stage outside of the Coliseum was practically empty. Even the new mainstage which was TWICE as large as the coliseum floor. The only time the new mainstage got remotely packed was when Boys Noize closed out the night on Saturday.

Sure, the position of the bassPOD stage could've been a bit better instead of getting into everyone's way between the other stages, and maybe the EDC Billboards were a bit much; however, the main reason so many people go to EDC is because Insomniac has created an environment that EVERYONE is trying to attend. It's not like EDC grew to this size overnight. It took many years from their first EDC of only 5,000. It's the fault of our very uneducated scene full of kids who are literally dying to become "ravers".

Sure Insomniac, the city, and security should have enforced the age limit. However, so many kids nowadays have access to fakes and what not. Not to mention this whole new phenomenon of gaterushing/crashing, which has never been a problem with the scene in the past. They will just bypass any age verification system they had in place.

Also, if you played it smart and avoided the extremely crowded areas, the event was a complete blast with excellent stage production and other entertaining effects. You just have to educate yourself and study the map and whatnot. Always come prepared.

FYI, while I never appreciate a soul passing on, she doesn't deserve any remorse from me. Many people saw her gaterushing/crashing and her friend even claimed they took a water bottle from some guys were handing them out for free. It only takes a few sour apples to ruin the fun for everyone.

If anything, all massives next year will be moved to new venues with extreme precautions and new regulations put into full force. There was probably more terror and property damage from the Laker Riots weeks before...

Edited by zin, 01 July 2010 - 10:35 PM.

#3 Ph0toN

Ph0toN

Who Says You Can't Freehand With Table Lamps?

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,719 posts
  • Interests:Dancing, Music, Film, Game Design, Flight

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

There's been a pretty interesting conversation about this taking place on facebook. I'm pasting that conversation here because it has my full opinion on the matter in it and also the opinions of some other GSC members. I've removed the last names of other facebook users to preserve their privacy, but I've left their comments in because the comments I and some of the other GSC members have made either reference or are in direct response to some of them. I've also changed my own and the other GSC members names to their GSC screen names for easier viewing.

DreiHarteZero:
For those wondering about the fall out of EDC. Here it is. A 15 year old shouldn't have been there. As someone said in another comment, "the uneducated deserve what comes to them." In this case, i agree.

FEAR:
I find it funny that they assume someone slipped her drugs. I wonder if the father ever thought if the daughter lied to him just so she wouldn't get in trouble. To be honest I feel no remorse for her or her family. I am not glad that a human being lost their life but at the same time I feel no sympathy for the uneducated. RULE NUMBER ONE: DONT TAKE ANYTHING FROM ANYONE AT ANYTIME!

Michael:
FEAR. Go ahead and take this the wrong way. You are an idiot. 15 yr olds make stupid decisions everyday. No one deserves to die for it.

FEAR:
I specifically said "I am not glad that a human being lost their life" I agree no one deserves to die, but at the same time people go to events ignorant as ever, the fact that she was 15 years old has nothing to do with it. So many people die yearly from drug overdose why is it that I never see a news report of them? The only reason this is 'huge' is because it's another way for the media to slander what once was a beautiful scene and now is over ran with nothing more than scene kids. I was 15 years old not to long ago, I made stupid decisions from time to time, but I was still in this scene and the first thing I found out was NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FROM ANYONE AT ANYTIME at events such as this. I know there is no way, shape, or form that I can convince you to see it my way, but this is the way I feel. I have no sympathy for those that are uneducated in areas that they want to participate it.

Jin Smylez:
lol im pretty sure a 15 year old would accidentally overdose. She obviously is old enough to know what drugs are and how you would take them. she was most likely just a stupid teenager who druged herself to death. gtfo it. no need to ban raves at the coliseum or make a news report over it.

Alice:
out of 180000ish people ONE died?

DreiHarteZero:
185k yeah.

FEAR:
And it wasn't even due to the masses just that she was dumb about it.

Michael:
And where does it say she was told not to take anything from anyone? Perhaps this was her first one and wanted to see what it was all about? Innocent & naive does not = uneducated. Just where does one learn these things? Rave class 101 isn't offered anywhere last I checked.

A number of bad things stacked up against this girl. I have nothing but sympathy for her family & friends and trust me, there is no more unsympathetic bastard out there than me.

I actually think most drugs should be legalized by the way, and banning a rave is just going to make it take place elsewhere. Hopefully the ban will just be temporary.

DreiHarteZero:
It is a temporary ban for now.

FEAR:
No where on paper does it say "Don't take anything from anyone anywhere" but ever as a child my parents taught me don't take anything from strangers whether that be candy or was even may appear to be just water.

Going to a massive isn't an impulsive thing. People don't out of nowhere think "I am going to go to a massive today". She had this planned out ever since she bought the tickets. And trust me you don't just go and buy a ticket for one of these things and then forget about it, everyone does research on what EDC was like last year etc. etc. and eventually find out this type of information.

Also I just want to know what 'bad things' were stacked up against her? The fact that she died? Or the fact that someone "slipped" her drugs? Trust me the first thing I would have done if my parents found out I was taking drugs, which I don't by the way, is that I would lie to them by saying someone must have slipped me them. I would have said anything to get out of the trouble that I would have to face if my parents found out if I willingly took drugs.

Michael:
I don't take them either but legalization would cut down on a lot of these things happening. I don't know the details of the "bad things" but yea it does take a number of circumstances for someone to wind up dead at 15.

Look all I'm saying is soften your heart a little. I don't really give a damn about the circumstances one way or another. Having had to bury a child I hope you never have to. I don't like to use the age/experience card but I hope for your sake you learn a little compassion before you get much older. We all fall on our face a lot and need help picking ourselves up from time to time. That is if the fall isn't fatal. Your initial statement of having no sympathy makes you sound like an inconsiderate ass.

FEAR:
I do feel sympathetic to those that deserve it. Again as I have said no matter what way you look at it, it was her fault. If she was slipped drugs she could have easily declined it. OR if she willingly took it, well you see where I am going with this. Now if this was a case of homicide or suicide then that is a whole different story. But this is about some girl that had no responsibility in her partying.

Michael:
How it happened really doesn't matter to me. I still have sympathy to all those involved. I've seen way to much death in my short life and had to bury way to many family, friends and strangers alike. Sympathy for our fellow man is one of the few things that separate us from the animals of this world.

Ph0toN:
I said something along the same lines yesterday, that I don't feel sorry for her because it was her own ignorance that caused it (and also her parents were at fault for not telling her to be cautious). Whether she actually took something or she drank someones water that was laced, common sense should have been used.

If it was actually taking something, it's common sense to research a drug before taking it to know what to expect and how to best deal with the outcome. The same goes for drinking someone elses water. It's just common sense not to do that. How many tv shows have shown parties where the punch was spiked? That alone should teach people not to drink from sources they can't 100% trust. Not to mention the possibility of catching some illness from someone in that manner.

As for doing research on it, the internet is full of information in places such as erowid, which would be one of the top results on any search on the subject.

The media and the parents blaming it on the drugs, the promoter, and the venue is what disturbs me, as it was not the fault of any of those three. It all comes down to the parents not being responsible enough to keep their daughter from attending an event that she's not even old enough to attend and for not teaching her how to use caution.

I do however feel bad for the parents and that someone died. But in the end it was the result of pure ignorance and irresponsibility on her part, and also on the parents part.

/end opinion

Michael:
Again, I don't care who was to blame for the death, though yes it does lie with the child and parents ultimately. Just the lack of sympathy is what i found disturbing.

Guess I'll just sit in my rocking chair and start yelling at kids to get off my lawn!

Ph0toN:
Just as a related example: If a 15 year old were to steal a car and drive it off a cliff, crashing and dying; or if a 15 year old were to rob a bank and get shot and killed by the police on the way out, should I feel sorry for that 15 year old? I don't think so. It was their own fault for being an idiot, and also their parents fault for not teaching them any better.

I've got love for all the people in the world, but when it comes to sheer stupidity that's where my sympathy ends.

Ph0toN:
And yeah, you need to have a good stick or cane to wave in the air as you yell at them. :D

Michael:
I prefer to brandish a shotgun or something and shoot it in the air. ;-) I like to watch the water trail they leave behind them!

Alicia:
Honestly I feel sorry for the girl dieing, but there were a million preventatives to this incident. The parents OBVIOUSLY were not observant & responsible enough to keep track of their daughter & the daughter was not responsible enough with her actions at the rave. Honestly if someone "slipped" mdma into a drink & gave it to her, she WOULD HAVE tasted it. Which means that she could absolutely not have consumed enough of the substance to overdose, unless she was extremely ignorant & continued to drink large amounts of this "spiked" beverage willingly. Being sober myself, I see no way how this girl could have overdosed without it being self inflicted. Also with the topic of her getting in at the age she was, kids get fake ids and use friends/older siblings ids to get into clubs all the time. I don't see why they're blowing this specific situation way out of proportion.

Tanner:
loooooooooooooooooooooool.

Jin Smylez:
Michael, who the hell deserves the sympathy? lol. number 1, if her parents weren't dumb asses themselves, they would be informed about what their child was doing. OBVIOUSLY they have done something to their child to cause her to believe "I cant ask my parents if I can go to edc because they will say no" which is their own fault.

Also, all of her friends were stupid enough to not try and stop her doing what she did.

Finally, the girl herself was stupid enough to do all that shit on her own.... See More

No one deserves sympathy in this situation IMO

Ph0toN:
After much reflection last night I've come to the conclusion that I was wrong to say that I have no sympathy for them, for I do have sympathy, just not in the normal way. I have sympathy for the fact that they were ignorant and they suffered extreme consequences due to their ignorance.

In addition to ignorance however, from new information I acquired last night, the girl also practiced sheer stupidity. According to one of her friends that was with her, they were among the gate rushers when EDC first opened.

It seems logical to draw from that information the conclusion that the way she got in being underage was by rushing the gate and slipping past security. It also seems logical that rushing the gate was a planned event and not something she just did on a whim, being that she was underage and would have been denied entry had she been carded, assuming she didn't have a fake ID. I've also heard that she was there both days, so either she had an ID of some sort or she was lucky enough to get in by rushing two days in a row. However, what sense does it make to rush one day and not the other?

A second piece of information I acquired last night was that on the way in there was a guy giving out free water and she actually took it. This however can be blamed on her ignorance and on the parents for not warning her to be cautious of things like that.

I haven't heard any information on the condition of the water bottle she acquired. Had it been opened already, it would have been stupid of her to drink from it. If however it had been injected with something so that the seal wasn't broken it takes the stupidity down a notch, but doesn't remove from the ignorance of drinking something someone gives away for free in an environment where everyone is about making money. And yes, sadly these events have become about making money, in contrast to the entire ideal the scene was founded on.

There are still pieces of information that are missing from this puzzle and until they turn up solid conclusions can't be drawn.

Rorok:
Yeah well my views is (no offense to anyone from LA), but when alot of the ignorant people that go there just to get fucked up and do stupid shit, causes this. Exact same thing happened at Hard summer, people were rioting out in the parking lot, along with rushes etc. ruined the event. and now it happens at EDC...people just dont care anymore, and for the true ravers and people that go to have a good time, i have so much respect for them. and im sure they're disappointed as well.

Its just sad to see this happening again in LA, and im not the one to agree with the news ever, but with this i kinda do agree with them. i disagree with the temp ban on "raves" (edc to me isnt a rave). but i agree with the doctors getting pissed at people coming in, cause of something stupid kids are doing. for example. i went to a event down in orlando last year, and i hear kids behind me sayin "oh i did this much X etc" if i was a doctor id be pissed too at these kids bein stupid, thats why i really dislike drugs, people over do shit or just mess something up within the lines.

Overall these events need to be underground. it would cause alot less trouble imo.

Rorok:
Also insomniac shouldnt be blamed for anything and hopefully they arent....she was 15 and snuck in, if someones doing a rush, its harder for security to do checks, the parents should be at fault for this, its 16+...and as sad as it is to say, events need to start being 18-21+. it creates alot less issues.

Tanner:
people don't die from MDMA, people die from paramethoxyamphetamine, piperazine, and other easier to produce drugs that people sell as E. I find it entirely unbelievable that someone just GAVE her a water bottle full of drugs. and even if someone DID give her an ENTIRELY FREE water bottle FULL of drugs, the dumbest person in the world would notice the god awful bitterness. Far more likely the dumb bitch bought some pills from some sketchy motherfucker and popped 6 PMA bombs cut with meth. regardless, there's one less stupid raver, so i'm happy.

Ph0toN:
I've definitely got to agree on that one Tanner, as generally people don't just give away drugs because drugs cost money. I don't know about the water tasting extremely bitter though, as one small pill or pile of powdered chemical regardless of the potency would dilute throughout the water. It may make it taste ever so slightly bitter, but nothing compared to putting the raw chemical in the mouth. Chances are you're correct in assuming that she just took a bunch of pills and nobody that was involved wants to admit that.

Tanner:
even a single bean in a bottle of water is VERY noticeable :D

Ph0toN:
I've never tried that so I wouldn't know, I'm just going on assumption based off of how Alka-Seltzer tastes in water and taking into account how much smaller a tab of E is than an Alka-Seltzer tablet. Even so, one tab generally wouldn't cause the problems she had.

My best guess is she OD'd on water from drinking to much to quickly, coupled with her bodies slow reaction due to whatever drugs were in her system.

All of that could have been prevented had she done some research beforehand and acted with even a small amount of intelligence.

Edited by Ph0toN, 02 July 2010 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Rocker850

Rocker850

Rockin' Raver

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Freehanding I think? :P Making friends and expressing my thoughts. :D

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

I really have to agree with most you guys. For every action there is a consequence, so it is her fault, period. Unless you are telling me that her best friend gave her the drugs saying that it was candy, or some guy pointing a gun or knife at her telling her to take the drug or else, or some guy while a needle injecting everyone with drugs. If thats not the case, then it is your fault. Yes, it is sad, but thats it. Sadly she had to be one of the countless people who die everyday. I'm 18 now and I went to a whole bunch of different parties, raves, concert and activities and in most of them there was drug use. In some cases I was offered. But I'm still alive, and why is this? Good moral values, good parental teachings and good friends, all of these are key elements to party safe (at least for me). Its sad the for this one person and for parents not wanting to accept the truth that their child died because of the ignorant actions, the whole Rave scene will suffer. Yes one girl died of an over dose, but at least it wasn't a whole bunch of people drugged or injured or killed from a hail of gun shots just because one man looked at another man's girlfriend, as it is seen in these more "Hip-hop, rap, young thug scenes". What I mean by this is that it is sad that a scene that was founded on the basis of PLUR and happiness has to suffer. Unlike other scenes based on competition, going wild, being bad and not taking crap from anyone and "surviving".

I'm going to finish now because I think I'm talking to much crap, hehe. But yeah thats all I have to say.

#5 Rorok

Rorok

I live above 150 bpms

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

I blame her parents, underaged needed a legal guardian..they didnt go, they should be at fault for letting her.

also read what i said in photons post. thats what i think about this situation.

Also i know the discussion of "WHY DO THEY HATE OUR SCENE SO MUCH". honestly i dont think they do. Yeah there is misjudging with the media and our scene, but is it out fault? No its not its the ignorant kids that ruin our scene and its why we get the hate. Think of this...If EDC had 3000 people, do you think this would be on the news worldwide...or just in the area of LA perhaps california....But because the event was so big, yes it hit the news. Im sure someone will disagree with me, but truely think about it. its not our scene thats making it bad, its the kids that arent ravers, that are just people that do drugs to feel good, that dont even know who tiesto, deadmau5, armin, or atb is...And honestly i agree with the doctors being pissed about having to deal with stupid kids. Think about this, as a true raver, drugs involved or not involved, we wouldnt do something stupid like this, we would go for the music and the vibes to have a good time instead of over doing drugs, or doing something stupid and ruin an event.

#6 DreiHarteZero

DreiHarteZero

Ninja

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Interests:Glowstringing, Glowsticking, Hybrid, Liquid, Linkin Park, Tiesto, learning new styles.
  • Facebook

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

Let's deal with all the necessities first. Yeah she was underage and stupid to even go.

The issue that I have is that...do you think this would have ever happened if the rave scene wasn't pushed so mainstream?

Ok, sorry Rage, gonna break this up into two parts. First, the bolded parts; "Yeah she was underage." That right there. If 1; the parents didn't know where their kid was going, partly their fault right there. Irresponsibility blows. 2; Even if the girl lied, the girl probably should have thought "Gee, maybe there is a reason this is 16+." Partly her fault right there. 3; Common sense. I was taught like 99% of everyone; "Don't take pills or drinks from strangers." Plain, simple. Common sense fail on her part. But a fail none the less. I doubt some dealer was shoving the pill down her throat. Really, I only see it as her fault. Sure, I hate someone dying, BUT SHE FUCKED UP OVER COMMON SENSE. I'm sorry but Darwin states those who are not intelligent enough to survive will not survive. That is my opinion on the death.

Second part "Do you think this would have ever happened if the scene wasn't pushed so mainstream?" Yes. Law of averages states that at some time, any time, someone will die. That probability is increased by the presence of drugs. It is further increased by a lack of knowledge. BUT! If you add more knowledge, you lower that probability even more. And you have people who mix knowledge of drugs and know how to handle those who are on drugs or know how to handle themselves, that probability is cut. Sure, people added to the probability. If the growth of raves was matched by the by the growth of RAVE EDUCATION, then shit like this wouldn't happen even IF the scene wasn't so mainstream. Three deaths in two massives in one state is pretty big odds. People need to be smarter, more prepared.

Is there such thing as "too big of a party", at least in California? Because Insomniac[/blue] may have just thrown it. And the government is going to be all over them now. It just sucks now because its news stories like this that will ultimately reflect onto the glowsticking art. Or maybe if [color=blue]Insomniac stopped making raves so commercialized by doing things such as packing so many people in a tiny area? At least raise the age limit to 18 for this stuff.[/b]

*I know I kinda coupled it together, but my point remains*

First, the blue. You can't JUST point the finger at Insomniac. You have to say "Promoter" because quite frankly this is something EVERY promoter has ALWAYS worried about and ALWAYS WILL worry about.
Second, yes, there is something as too big of a party. In my mind, it's a party where the number of people doing stupid shit exceeds the number of people trying to have a good time responsibly. In Cali, yep, I think we've been there for a while. At least a year.
Third: The government is going to be all over them now. Yup, the government is watching EVERYONE right now. Watch Uprise and Imagine. If ANYTHING happens at those two events, we could be watching the fall of "The Scene." But I agree with Zin completely. It's cyclical. This was bound to happen, and we just have to be ready for it. And yeah, this is going to be attached to glowsticking. Again, we have to be educated and informed as glowstickers, as well as for the people who want to be identified as ravers. If you just want to be a glowsticker, then be ready to define the difference between glowstickers and ravers.
As for the age limit, I agree, 18+ plus actually enforcing that. Have roaming cops checking IDs and passing out wristbands after checking the IDs in line.

Finally, "if insomniac stopped making raves so commercialized ..." It's a business. More people, more business. Every promoter is doing this, trying to get more and more people to come to their events. Not just Insomniac, but everyone else needs to enforce ticket caps. And when they do, you'll start seeing things get better.

#7 cynicdave

cynicdave

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,606 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Been through this before. 2002-2003 was the year of the rave bust. GSC was started when nobody went to raves anymore. It was hard going at first.

I completely disagree it has to do with fads or marketing or "pushing it". Lets face it, EDM music is now enjoyed by everyone and everyone and their moms wants to be DJs. including 90 year old grandmothers in europe or whatever and every kid in college with a laptop and a summer job. Every top 40 artist has remixed songs, remixing is popular, it's done by almost everyone, acts like Justice are blending the diff between electronic and live, Kanye fucking west re-releases better stronger faster, rap stars are all going to raves again.

Raves are cyclical, and bigger raves can happen when cities need the money. Los Angeles needed the money badly. Insomniac can provide it. A lot more people are willing to pay 60 bucks for a ticket and 20 bucks for some drugs because that's cheaper relaxation than going to las vegas or a road trip to another city. OR even watching a 3d movie!!! You could easily blow 50 bucks watching Avatar and getting some refreshments.

Apparently, on the radio i heard they were having a commision composed of cops, firefighters, and hospital doctors to MAKE RAVES SAFER. not get rid of them. This means that the city has pretty much taken a tolerant approach and because they are bankrupt, they are forced to accept what insomniac offers them.

We had some assholes on the site encouraging underage kids to go to raves. This should stop. The position on GSC has always been 16+ depending on maturity level and permission from parents and 18+ being preferable. Big massives should have rudimentary metal detector wands (those save lives, back in 2000-2001 a lot of people died from stabbings), and quick scan ID checkers.

This is how it's probably going to be, and for the better I think.

And to people who are wasting time blaming gate crashers for the scene... dude... it's the over exposure and the amount of drugs people are doing, not the gate crashers. Seriously. Nobody got arrested for gate crashing which is a minor offense. Drug dealing and posession is a much bigger offense.

#8 Trebek

Trebek

º º º º º º

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

Been through this before. 2002-2003 was the year of the rave bust. GSC was started when nobody went to raves anymore. It was hard going at first.

I completely disagree it has to do with fads or marketing or "pushing it". Lets face it, EDM music is now enjoyed by everyone and everyone and their moms wants to be DJs. including 90 year old grandmothers in europe or whatever and every kid in college with a laptop and a summer job. Every top 40 artist has remixed songs, remixing is popular, it's done by almost everyone, acts like Justice are blending the diff between electronic and live, Kanye fucking west re-releases better stronger faster, rap stars are all going to raves again.

Raves are cyclical, and bigger raves can happen when cities need the money. Los Angeles needed the money badly. Insomniac can provide it. A lot more people are willing to pay 60 bucks for a ticket and 20 bucks for some drugs because that's cheaper relaxation than going to las vegas or a road trip to another city. OR even watching a 3d movie!!! You could easily blow 50 bucks watching Avatar and getting some refreshments.

Apparently, on the radio i heard they were having a commision composed of cops, firefighters, and hospital doctors to MAKE RAVES SAFER. not get rid of them. This means that the city has pretty much taken a tolerant approach and because they are bankrupt, they are forced to accept what insomniac offers them.

We had some assholes on the site encouraging underage kids to go to raves. This should stop. The position on GSC has always been 16+ depending on maturity level and permission from parents and 18+ being preferable. Big massives should have rudimentary metal detector wands (those save lives, back in 2000-2001 a lot of people died from stabbings), and quick scan ID checkers.

This is how it's probably going to be, and for the better I think.

And to people who are wasting time blaming gate crashers for the scene... dude... it's the over exposure and the amount of drugs people are doing, not the gate crashers. Seriously. Nobody got arrested for gate crashing which is a minor offense. Drug dealing and posession is a much bigger offense.

WORD

I couldn't agree in a more "fashionable" way. Hah :clap:

#9 Cody

Cody

AKA: Ange

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:29 AM

Insomniac is too powerful for anything seriously bad to happen to EDC or any of their other events really.

Im not worried much for the scene in southern california at all. It'll live. Im curious too see what happens with this review on coliseum rave thingy whatever turns out to be next month.

#10 zin

zin

dancerbater.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/events/edc-rave-18-plus/

All of Insomniac's festivals are now 18+. This includes the upcoming Audiotistic. Make sure you have your ID when you go...

#11 GlowingGenetLoki

GlowingGenetLoki

Official GS.C Furry

• PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Glowsticking, Furry, Video Games, Story Writing, Music, Movies, Gurren Lagann, Internet, Glowsticking, Swimming, Drawing, Dance Dance Revolution, Glowsticking, Making Friends, Day Dreaming, and so much more!
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

http://blogs.laweekl...c-rave-18-plus/

All of Insomniac's festivals are now 18+. This includes the upcoming Audiotistic. Make sure you have your ID when you go...

If I'm understanding correctly, that includes next year's EDC?

#12 zin

zin

dancerbater.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

Yes.

#13 Ph0toN

Ph0toN

Who Says You Can't Freehand With Table Lamps?

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,719 posts
  • Interests:Dancing, Music, Film, Game Design, Flight

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

Supervisor calls for ban on raves at San Bernardino County facilities

And so it starts - the same sort of stories that were all over the news back in 02-03. The comments some people have made on this news story just disgust me. It really shows what a lot of the people who aren't in our scene think about it.

To quote one eccentric, "For all of the the rave defenders...everybody is in bliss because everyone is on ecstasy. It runs rampant even at the so-called monitored events. And people attended Victorville a lot younger than 18. Nice try in defending a very dangerous drug culture." And yet another, "Raves go all fricking night and into the morning. The only possible way to stay awake that long is drug use which is why its so prevalent."

I'm at a loss on what makes people think that the actions of a few in a scene reflect the actions of the whole. There are negative aspects of any musical scene, and nearly every scene has drug use of some sort.

This kind of ignorance and negativity toward our scene needs to be stopped. The only way that's going to happen is if we work together to educate people both in the scene and outside of it.

Edited by Ph0toN, 21 July 2010 - 07:16 AM.

#14 Tico

Tico

Her Cox of the Grammar Gestapo

• GSC Staff Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Interests:Rowing, Law, poetry, Glowstringing (in any order)

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

Photon, the reason that people think that the actions of a few reflect the actions of the entire group, is because that's the only thing they see. Every time they see something about a rave in the media, it is related to drug overdoses and such, they never hear the good things, hence why they have such a twisted vision on it.
I once had to do an essay on the power of the media and I actually was able to use the portrayal of the rave scene in it.
Basically, yes, education is the only way, unfortunately though, most people are brainwashed and ignorant to such a degree that it most likely won't work.

Cheers

#15 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

I remember after that happend ppl would say "dont pull a sasha" rofl, kinda fukkd up, but funny xD
I do think that the push the EDM scene has been given recently has screwd things up in socal, but atleast sofar the "not so mainstreme " events have been good at who they lett in thier network. I think we should just show these newcomers some luv anyway and just keep it enjoyable for all.

Plurr fuckers ^,^/)

#16 bio

bio

Poster

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

I remember after that happend ppl would say "dont pull a sasha" rofl, kinda fukkd up, but funny xD
I do think that the push the EDM scene has been given recently has screwd things up in socal, but atleast sofar the "not so mainstreme " events have been good at who they lett in thier network. I think we should just show these newcomers some luv anyway and just keep it enjoyable for all.

Plurr fuckers ^,^/)

"pull a sasha" lol yeah I sometimes say to my 18+ friends "don't be the reason they make raves 21+, and dont drink out of any strangers' water bottles"

#17 fleshcap

fleshcap

Poster

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

My message is short and simple: The massives have simply gotten too big. Let's face it, Insomniac got too greedy... there needs to be a limit for the number of tickets sold for each event. Next thing to happen will be someone being crushed to death just like what happened at Love Parade in Germany.

#18 zin

zin

dancerbater.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

I hate to say it, but her death has actually helped out the scene on both fronts.

The city of Los Angeles now hands out Ecstasy information cards that informs the party goer of harms and the best way to stay safe. This is vastly different than before where they've always approached it as a "DON'T DO DRUGS, IT'S DEADLY". I guess they finally realized that you can't stop drug use, just promote safer usage.
Posted Image

It's also required promoters to instill stronger regulations. However, as we've seen from Nocturnal this won't have a big effect on numbers. Nocturnal @ NOS Events Center received a record breaking attendance for that venue this year. That's with the new regulations. But it could also attribute to the fact that Monster Massive @ the Sports Arena only had <25,000 attendance this year (~60,000 in 2009), but many other factors could have affected Monster's attendance.

However, it was foolish the way the committee went about proposing the moratorium. It's common sense that the city had an economic boost during these festivals. Hotels sell out, local businesses get surges of customers, the Police force and private ambulances are rented out by these promoters (which means no government funds were used to staff the event), etc. etc.

With that said, I'm sure everyone has heard that the moratorium is officially rescinded. Festival contracts can now be signed again to Coliseum, Sports Arena, & Expo Grounds.

#19 Tossrock

Tossrock

Veteran Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Transhumanism, programming, game design, internet culture, glowsticking

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

Man, that flier is very accurate and informative...and it's sponsored by the government? How did that happen??

#20 SXEMTBLD

SXEMTBLD

Poster

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Music, Video Games, Ladies, Poetry/Writing

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:45 AM

At least it's a good thing that raves are 18+. If I were a parent and my son or daughter, whom was under 18, wanted to go to a rave, I would say "NO WAY JOSE".

Also, rave music was bound to get big. That's how mainstream works and most of the DJs that we like, at the end of the day, they wanna get big and make $$$$$$$....

That's how it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users