bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Interests:happenings
  • Facebook

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

A quick edit of some stringing from Friday night. It's not the original edit because Y/T copyright sucks, so I left in some mess ups for this slightly longer song, but who cares. The weather here in Chicago has been absolutely beautiful for the last 2 weeks. I plan on getting outside to glowstick alot more this year. My intent this night was to start working on more extensions and stuff that requires more space, but I never really did. It is something I plan on practicing more. This location me & a friend found is ideal for filming.

Edited by bukklee, 21 January 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#2 JaredHimself

JaredHimself

ghost

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:Glowsticking, Guitar, Metal, EDM, Earth, SPACE, Judo, Video games

HATS
  • Facebook

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

that was gnarly dude, you've got some sick flow

#3 suzume

suzume

Pervy old sage...

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

man, why does everyone have an awesome giant practice mirror except me?

the combo @ 00:25 is a perfect example of what i consider the Chicago style, love the incorporation of the stalls into the tracing as well.

what length string are you using? looks like it'd be beneficial in manipulations.

i love the combo at 2:00, wonderful flow on it, very clean.

i like that your wrap combos are very symmetrical in how you do them, everything stays very reflected.

the manipulation at 2:58 was awesome, i wanna see more variations of this from you.

what i can only describe as the 'grand father clock' @ 3:20 and the manip following it are probably my favorites out of the whole video though, why'd you fade to black? it looked like you were still going! =P

great vid man, only thing i can suggest is look into adding flowers into your routines. I saw you adding in a few 2-petal CAP patterns but I think you should add in something to really let your arms open up. Nothing complex or overly-technical but i think an occasional 4 petal flower would incorporate really well into your overall style; especially since you tend to move around and use alot of crosser variations. =D

Edited by suzume, 26 March 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#4 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

man, why does everyone have an awesome giant practice mirror except me?

the combo @ 00:25 is a perfect example of what i consider the Chicago style, love the incorporation of the stalls into the tracing as well.

what length string are you using? looks like it'd be beneficial in manipulations.

i love the combo at 2:00, wonderful flow on it, very clean.

i like that your wrap combos are very symmetrical in how you do them, everything stays very reflected.

the manipulation at 2:58 was awesome, i wanna see more variations of this from you.

what i can only describe as the 'grand father clock' @ 3:20 and the manip following it are probably my favorites out of the whole video though, why'd you fade to black? it looked like you were still going! =P

great vid man, only thing i can suggest is look into adding flowers into your routines. I saw you adding in a few 2-petal CAP patterns but I think you should add in something to really let your arms open up. Nothing complex or overly-technical but i think an occasional 4 petal flower would incorporate really well into your overall style; especially since you tend to move around and use alot of crosser variations. =D

Thanks for your input...means alot.

The first clip isn't at my house, I wish I had that setup at home. :inlove: Especially that one without the frame.

I use 36" strings with no fancy way of holding them, just looped on my middle finger. So they are kinda long compared to what I've seen most people use. I can't do certain types of manips with really short strings, so I use longer ones.

I agree on having wrap combos symetrical is ideal. It's something I definitely want to get better at. I've only recently started working on that more. I always love when people do mirror combos I just never put the effort into it before now. Manips have kind of consumed my practice over the last year or two.

That manip at 2:58 is something interesting. It doesn't translate well in the video, but I change which strings I'm holding in the middle of it. I always use two different color strings, so if you look again you can see it. EDIT::: NO STRING SWITCH IN THIS VIDEO
It started as a way for me to get into one-hand, but the more I thought of it, it really is a way to enter jitten??(G10) easily. I DO have more variations, my friend. This will be something I'll post in the concept blog.

That last clip was after I got home that night. It was the last thing I was messing with before leaving my friends house. Just wanted to get it recorded before I forgot. I was exhausted at that point, hence the absent-minded effort that comes across. There is still something missing from it that I originally did but I still liked it, I'm glad you did too.
It faded out because it didn't go so well right after the edit. I get stuck doing the same thing with that bowtie variation :wallbash: it needs new life.

LOL Any type of CAP patterns in this video were non-intentional. I think it's really cool that I'm just naturally learning those types of things on my own, without focusing on them. That doesn't take away from the fact that I am completely aware of the need for me to add more extensions & flowers into my stringing. It's something I've been wanting to learn for awhile.
Funny thing is... that was my intent when I went out that night.
The night just turned into something different as it went on. That outside location was our first time going there & I was feeling very shady(unnecessarily) but that's just the way I am. Just off camera there is a security camera pointed right at me, I kept thinking there was someone sitting in a room watching this on their monitors like "WTF?"
I was just trying to get something on film at that spot to see what it looked like. I'm definitely going to get back to that spot soon. Next time I won't be so distracted by the surroundings. Also I'll bring earphones. This was all filmed with no music playing.

Everything in this video was just me free-stringing. I didn't have anything in mind that I wanted to showcase I was just chilling with a good friend and having a good time.
I really miss the 1 on 1 sessions (in person) I use to have with old friends. This night reminded me of those long night-into-day sessions when I started. Minus all the needless narcotics, which in hindsight hindered me greatly in my own development of skill. And this wasn't an all-nighter...we are much too old for that shit anymore. :sleeping:
As great as that old feeling was, I'm more of the teacher in this instance with this friend. I need someone who can show ME things in real-time. I learn things so much faster when someone is like "don't do that, do this". WTF? Chicago has died on GSC :sm_sigh:

that was gnarly dude, you've got some sick flow

Thanks man. What's up? where's the Jared collab?

Edited by bukklee, 26 March 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#5 MintCondish

MintCondish

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:circles, right angles, conservation of angular momentum, physics, education, terraforming, simultaneous smiles, making the world a better place.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm more of the teacher in this instance with this friend. I need someone who can show ME things in real-time. I learn things so much faster when someone is like "don't do that, do this".

I live like 30 mins from Trebek so if you ever do make it down to TN PLEASE call me. I would love to string with the both of you. I can give you lots of pointers on the more poi based side of stringing.

I watched that first neck trace at 0:11 secs like ten times now. I have no idea how you went straight from going one direction to trace without really wrapping in the other direction in between. It looks crazy. I really like the btb wraps that you are using to transition back and forth from split time, and butterfly. You have worked them into your flow really smoothly. I feel like you have really progressed in all directions so much in the past four months or so. Keep up the awesome work man.

Something I've noticed about you that I've been meaning to mention for awhile, is that everything you write always comes across as really positive and centered. I can tell you've seen a lot when it comes to life, and it seems like you've made it out the other end with so much perspective, and wisdom. I think a lot of times when shit goes down people tend to let it bring them down or make them see everything in a negative light, and it seems like you've really done the opposite of that, which is very commendable in my humble opinion.

#6 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

I live like 30 mins from Trebek so if you ever do make it down to TN PLEASE call me. I would love to string with the both of you. I can give you lots of pointers on the more poi based side of stringing.

I watched that first neck trace at 0:11 secs like ten times now. I have no idea how you went straight from going one direction to trace without really wrapping in the other direction in between. It looks crazy. I really like the btb wraps that you are using to transition back and forth from split time, and butterfly. You have worked them into your flow really smoothly. I feel like you have really progressed in all directions so much in the past four months or so. Keep up the awesome work man.

Something I've noticed about you that I've been meaning to mention for awhile, is that everything you write always comes across as really positive and centered. I can tell you've seen a lot when it comes to life, and it seems like you've made it out the other end with so much perspective, and wisdom. I think a lot of times when shit goes down people tend to let it bring them down or make them see everything in a negative light, and it seems like you've really done the opposite of that, which is very commendable in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the comments on my progress. Didn't know if anyone else could see. I would agree that in the last few months I've started to develop more in other areas. I turn & move alot more than I use to, I was always your typical "statue" stringer.

I've definitely had my share of really good times, but also had my fill on the really fucked up times too. There is no real benefit in dwelling in the negative. That shit will drive you crazy. It's not always easy to be positive, but it's something else I've been working on over the last 4 years or so. Some days I'm better at it than others.
Basically I've learned that YOU have the choice on how you want something to affect you, in every moment. Even something tragic has it's positive effects. It's all about perspective.
HURT--> HEAL --> GROW

For sure if/when I get down to TN I'll let you know. I'm very uncertain of when that will be right now. Once I more clearly know the timeline of my lisense reinstatement, I'll have a better idea. My guess isn't until early 2013. :thumbdown: I wish it wasn't so long to wait, but whatcha gonna do? It's already been 3.5 years what's another 8 months.

Thanks again for the kind words.

#7 Aquilae

Aquilae

Facebook.com/DJAquilae

• GSC Interim Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Interests:Producing and playing Trance music
  • Facebook

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

man if I get some time, I'll leave a review, but I really love your stringing!

#8 Trebek

Trebek

º º º º º º

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

First off I always love your song selections, you always have prime tunes in your videos.

Loving all the movement throughout, it really adds something to your already epic stringing.

BTB combos are wicked.

Love that manip out of the half wraps too.

I can really see you have been practicing on adding some poi; it shows, looking great.

Manip at the end is epic I still can't get those string wrap bowtie? things correct, mine always come loose.

All in all man, awesome video. I've always liked watching your progression and all the crazy new stuff you come up with.

On the last note, get to TN!!

#9 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

First off I always love your song selections, you always have prime tunes in your videos.

Loving all the movement throughout, it really adds something to your already epic stringing.

BTB combos are wicked.

Love that manip out of the half wraps too.

I can really see you have been practicing on adding some poi; it shows, looking great.

Manip at the end is epic I still can't get those string wrap bowtie? things correct, mine always come loose.

All in all man, awesome video. I've always liked watching your progression and all the crazy new stuff you come up with.

On the last note, get to TN!!

You led me to this song for the video so....yeah. That song by Lemaitre with the Hendrix sample (Momentum??? I think) is dope too.
SIDE NOTE: that first clip I was listening to Viceroy's remix of a Wiz Khalifa song.

I almost feel guilty about people's comments on how good the video is. When I got done filming, the immediate thought I had was "I always choke on camera" I even told my friend that, right after. I have 3 or 4 cringe moments when I've watched the video again.
I think it's just the space that I was in allowed me to do more than I usually do. I really need to practice outside more and I have been here and there, it's crazy nice out and I would be a fool not to take advantage.
If anything this is a great progression video, for me. Leaps and bounds past what I was doing just weeks, even days before. This night was really the first time I moved liked this while stringing. LEVEL UP. So there should be nothing but improvement in utilizing space in my next video, whenever that my be.
Also I was just genuinely in a great mood that night and I think that's what comes through the most.

I do agree with some people's comments I've read, that this is the best video I've put out so far. It really does show the way that I currently glowstick without trying to do anything too crazy. Now that I'm all comfy with the spot, I plan on going back there soon to film again. I wish I would have filmed the second time we went back that night. I feel that would have made a much better video, but my memory card was full. and of course it all goes back to being on camera and "failing"

I haven't really been practicing poi, but more thinking about poi when I practice. Which seems to work for me on some level. --Reading that back kinda made no sense, but the best I could come up with.

Yeah that bowtie is quite a pain to get down. It's a combination of learning how much tension to have, when to let go of the stick and angle of the stick. Then once you have it locked it's also tricky keeping it locked while spinning it, or doing whatever with it.
I tried to show my friend, last weekend, how to do it step by step. They gave up when I said "now take the butt of the stick... and you see the loop around your thumb? You need to put the stick into that loop, then......" The look on her face was priceless.

TN. Someday.

Thanks for the feedback. Allowed me to ramble.
PS - I've been using your elevators concept alot more in manips. :thumbup:

Edited by bukklee, 29 March 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#10 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

this sign was posted at the location I filmed for this, today.
Technically I'm not going back where the road goes, so until "the law" comes it's still the spot.

Posted Image

#11 Xetmath

Xetmath

I'll change your plane, baby

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Glow stuff
    Fire
    Physics
    Math
    Good Humor

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

this sign was posted at the location I filmed for this, today.
Technically I'm not going back where the road goes, so until "the law" comes it's still the spot.

Posted Image

Turn the sign around where it's facing the building.

*troll face* problem officer?

#12 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'm not too worried. This location is in a culdesac of an industrial park. To the left of the sign is a storage unit lot, my friend lives in the apartment above the office. There are no houses around at all, no traffic, so no one to complain. Just that pesky security camera.
If the cops were to show up, I would just play dumb, do as they asked and move it somewhere else.
Shit....middle of the culdesac is a prime spot too.

I'll find out cuz I'm going back Friday night. :smilewinkgrin:

#13 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

too cold to go outside, but some footage from last night.

I would like to hear some more critiquing. I appreciate the complimentary comments, but I also like to hear the other side too. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJ1F4Q1ads

#14 Trebek

Trebek

º º º º º º

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Another awesome song you never disappoint.

Is there someone else stringing on the side of the camera?

Manip entrance around :45 was wicked.

Some of the transitions throughout the video I feel could be changed up to something else....

You should totally learn/do BTB wraps you have lots of spots where you could get into them.

Love those butterfly combos around 2min. Have you learnt wings? I think Javi has a tut on them.

One thing seemed like there was a lot of edits, I can understand that cause when I'm recording I cant' seem to manage more then 1min of good footage, so thats not really advice/complaint but more so...Well shit iunno record more haha. Again always nice to see some footage from ya.

Another note, you should totally start learning some new wraps, like duowraps and all the other madness around.

#15 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

Another awesome song you never disappoint.

Is there someone else stringing on the side of the camera?

Manip entrance around :45 was wicked.

Some of the transitions throughout the video I feel could be changed up to something else....

You should totally learn/do BTB wraps you have lots of spots where you could get into them.

Love those butterfly combos around 2min. Have you learnt wings? I think Javi has a tut on them.

One thing seemed like there was a lot of edits, I can understand that cause when I'm recording I cant' seem to manage more then 1min of good footage, so thats not really advice/complaint but more so...Well shit iunno record more haha. Again always nice to see some footage from ya.

Another note, you should totally start learning some new wraps, like duowraps and all the other madness around.

WTF am I doing up already? :wallbash:

Faith No More is one of my all-time favorite bands. I have at least 2-3 other songs by them I've always wanted to use.

Yes my friend was just off camera. I was talking to her alot during the filming so that's one reason for more edits cuz I would just stop randomly to help out.

I wasn't going to make a video from this footage, but I was kinda bored and I did anyways. This is definitely more of the "practice" video variety.
I see some repetive things. Mainly while I'm turning I tend to do the same things. I kinda just discovered this whole sideplane deal??? not really but it feels like it, so I've been expeimenting with that alot more. I think it's slowly leading up to some CAP patterns for me.

When I watch these last two videos, I see that I need to add extensions(which will lead to more poi-y), btb wraps, and also less wrapping in certain situations or at least learn some more technical wraps. I need to add an extra revolution before the next wrap sometimes, instead of wrap..wrap..wrap.
That night I just picked up on the locked out double bicep wrap, while turning. I do it a couple times in here. I can tell that will help out alot. I also notice that I'm still not 100% comfortable with turning yet. I can totally tell when I'm thinking about it and when I'm just going where the sticks take me.
To avoid making a video 6-7 minutes long, I always end up cutting stuff out that is new to me & sloppy. So some things you mentioned are being worked on, just not shown. :thumbup:

#16 suzume

suzume

Pervy old sage...

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

ahhh, the beauty of practice vids =P

the wrap combo at 00:10 was very creative
you do it in a different variation at 00:26
keep this up, i love seeing multiple variations of one combo; that just tells me that it's something that's lingering in your mind, and is proving to be a great source of inspiration for you on combo-work.
And its things like that, that develop people's styles =D

trebek mentioned 'wings' and i've gotta second him on that, if you haven't learned it yet, do it, cuz you're well over halfway to do doing them. If you can do a butterfly weave, then learn a butterfly fountain, and then 'wings' is adding on more beats to each side.

personally I think you should include your manips like at 2:50 more often, but thats just me =P
that and i figure that's not your focus atm, so that's totally fine too, besides i know you're a string manip beast!

yeah definitely spend some time learning and memorizing flowers, caps, and polyrythyms patterns; if you need the chart lemme know, I've been saving it for when we re-vamp the tuts, but I'll gladly give it to those in need of it.

In the way of expanding your wraps, I'd say pick up a few duowrap combos, nothing too excessive, but start to expand either above your head or under your legs. Also I know it's a weird request, but start mixing and dabbling one arm doing wraps while the other does extensions/caps/weaves/etc. I showcase some of what I'm talking about in the tech thread: submissions 25.1 & December Stuff

On a sidenote, trebek mentioned 'observer's effect' and i'm glad to know im not the only one suffering from it. I can work on concepts fine, but as soon as it comes time to film it, it takes me at least four attempts to land it, and even then I'm never satisfied.

If you have friends over while your practicing, tell them to hold onto the camera, and what angles to catch you at, but dont tell them when to start filming, leave that up to them to slowly sneak up on you with the camera; seems to be one of the best ways i've caught footage =P

Only thing that kinda threw me off, was the sticks getting brighter after a certain edit. Not really a complaint, but just wow, wasn't expecting them to get brighter lol. are those EG ultras? They look like they're turning kinda lime colored after a while.

Edited by suzume, 08 April 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#17 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

ahhh, the beauty of practice vids =P

the wrap combo at 00:10 was very creative
you do it in a different variation at 00:26
keep this up, i love seeing multiple variations of one combo; that just tells me that it's something that's lingering in your mind, and is proving to be a great source of inspiration for you on combo-work.
And its things like that, that develop people's styles =D

trebek mentioned 'wings' and i've gotta second him on that, if you haven't learned it yet, do it, cuz you're well over halfway to do doing them. If you can do a butterfly weave, then learn a butterfly fountain, and then 'wings' is adding on more beats to each side.

personally I think you should include your manips like at 2:50 more often, but thats just me =P
that and i figure that's not your focus atm, so that's totally fine too, besides i know you're a string manip beast!

yeah definitely spend some time learning and memorizing flowers, caps, and polyrythyms patterns; if you need the chart lemme know, I've been saving it for when we re-vamp the tuts, but I'll gladly give it to those in need of it.

In the way of expanding your wraps, I'd say pick up a few duowrap combos, nothing too excessive, but start to expand either above your head or under your legs. Also I know it's a weird request, but start mixing and dabbling one arm doing wraps while the other does extensions/caps/weaves/etc. I showcase some of what I'm talking about in the tech thread: submissions 25.1 & December Stuff

On a sidenote, trebek mentioned 'observer's effect' and i'm glad to know im not the only one suffering from it. I can work on concepts fine, but as soon as it comes time to film it, it takes me at least four attempts to land it, and even then I'm never satisfied.

If you have friends over while your practicing, tell them to hold onto the camera, and what angles to catch you at, but dont tell them when to start filming, leave that up to them to slowly sneak up on you with the camera; seems to be one of the best ways i've caught footage =P

Only thing that kinda threw me off, was the sticks getting brighter after a certain edit. Not really a complaint, but just wow, wasn't expecting them to get brighter lol. are those EG ultras? They look like they're turning kinda lime colored after a while.

I definitely want this chart that you mentioned. I think it would help. I have to adjust my focus to those things, like I did with manips. I don't think it's the best way, but I kinda get tunnel vision when it comes to learning things.
I'm at my best, the moments before the camera comes on. I like the sneak attack method of filming idea, I'm gonna try that.
I put the clips together in the order I filmed, so the first part was regular sticks and then green revolutions from extremeglow. They are my favorite of the revs. They for sure have more of a yellow-green color to them.

I appreciate the lengthy comments. I will try to put these things into my thought process as I move forward.

#18 xbadkaraokex

xbadkaraokex

Head of the Jedi Enclave

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

don't know why it took me so long to get on this...

youve got a good amount of movement and ur stuff is all really clean

0:45 loving that manip i might have to steal that
1:21 weave - >wraps while turning very nice

love the way u use dead wraps ka wrap and then stall out in ur combos

you might wanna look into caps / anti spins cuz you can add a lot of varation with those

#19 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

don't know why it took me so long to get on this...

youve got a good amount of movement and ur stuff is all really clean

0:45 loving that manip i might have to steal that
1:21 weave - >wraps while turning very nice

love the way u use dead wraps ka wrap and then stall out in ur combos

you might wanna look into caps / anti spins cuz you can add a lot of varation with those

better late than never. :P

I'm definitely getting more comfortable moving around. It's still see it as kinda forced movements and not so much a flowy style...yet. I like where i've been headed lately though.

that manip is from me experimenting with letting go of one string in different spots of combos. It's a good way of getting out of twisted strings without doing any type of orbital variation or string wrap. :thumbup:
I need to get better on the otherside while btb. I tend to stay on that one side too often.

I am competely clueless when it comes to anything poi related. I was just messing with a basic antispin flower out of huggy crosser. It's getting better and I'm starting to understand what's going on, but it's still U.G.L.Y.

I seen you mention SSBMU to Brandon, is that still happening for you? I'm about 95% percent there...I just need things to be made OFFICIAL. I can't start making arrangements on an assumption. Anyways I hope you are going & if all goes well, I'll see you there. NOT HAPPENING NOW :thumbsdown:

Edited by bukklee, 22 April 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#20 bukklee

bukklee

.!..(@^@)..!.

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Facebook

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Also I know it's a weird request, but start mixing and dabbling one arm doing wraps while the other does extensions/caps/weaves/etc. I showcase some of what I'm talking about in the tech thread: submissions 25.1 & December Stuff

This helped alot.

I'm not doing extensions or caps yet. I've been focusing more on the weaving while wrapping suggestion. I try to think about this everytime I string now, which isn't very much lately. However within that little time I have seen alot of improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users