hi i'm a girl

howdy ya'll ^^

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:kicking ass and taking names
  • Myspace

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Nyko

Well I was thinking about doing a basic move thread. witht the basic of freehand, so people that comes in can look at it before asking tons of question, and we wont have to repeat 100000 time, not that I dont like to, always there to help as I can, but it would be cool

Anyone wanna help, I'll edit this post with more stuff later on
This will become kind of a guide How to get started.
*admin could you link some video, if someone can host the old tut video, would be nice, so we can link them*
...I guess all that was coming, but I was just bored and felt like I would help a bit, or do something...lol, its in beta right now...haha

Tips:
Before starting out crazy, take your time, watch the tutorial video (to come) and repeat what you see slowly,yeah
Go SLOW, practice, practice, and guess what, practice again! practice makes "perfect".

Ok so lets get started

Basic:
Here is the list on most move to focus when starting out (ps there is no order...anything like that, feel free to start were you want, as long as you follow the tips)

Fig 8, inverted fig 8
trace (stomach trace, the concept of tracing)
stalls(technique for stalling lighstick, etc..)
toss,tap, catch
helicopter....(so many post about this tongue.gif)

and introducing some more advanced concept like :

Threading,shadow trace,tracing while moving, smoothness, transition,building up your own style, tutting,juggling.

Figure 8, inverted fig 8 :
OK I think everyone know what a fig 8 is, propably the first move you learned or will learn. Its simple you only need to "draw" a fig 8 in the air, video to come
The question of many of you are, but wtf is an inverted fig 8?, its simple, instead of pointing the stick in front of you, point the toward you, but without changing where your wrist are pointing.

Trace :
*Attention, trace takes TIME and PRACTICE to become smooth.so be ready to practice!*
Think paintbrush, paint your body, the lighstick Must enter in contact with you, go slowly, move it around, watch some video to get ideas of what tracing look like.You can trace your arm, leg, head, trace different part at a same time, trace the arm that is tracing the leg etc...there is an infinite number of thing you can do, be CREATIVE

Stalls :
QUOTE(Glowflow @ Oct 20 2004, 12:14 AM)
Most important thing to remember is to cradle the stick not catch it... Act like it is an egg and will break if it just hits you. Second of all you have to keep your eye on it as long as you can. By doing this the part tryin to stall will automaticly want to go to what you are looking at. Make sure for footstalls and back stalls to do a heli-toss to make it easier to catch on a flat surface. Otherwise it could hit funny and bouce off.
Also, for foot stalls, catch it in the pants near the shoes, its easier like that.
video to come
QUOTE(mikehart @ Nov 6 2004, 07:38 AM)
Tosses
Heli Toss - Toss the stick in the air making it spin horizontally(like helicotper rotor blades).

Other tosses can be made-up as you go. Just toss the stick to yourself and try different ways of tossing it. Easiest to practice because you can do it anywhere. Just carry a stick with you and randomly toss it to yourself in different ways anytime you get the chance. I've found that if you dont have any sticks(like me until i get my job) a dry-erase marker works brilliantly.

more to come later on, feel free to add anything that think could help, its way near completion, I was just bored a bit, doing it for the love of freehanding, if I can help some people learn, cool!

#2 Azzie

Azzie

I'm a lady first...a bitch second.

• GSC Staff Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts
  • Interests:What forum am I on?
  • Facebook

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

Why isn't this stickied?

Meh, I'm gonna try to do stalls next . . . wish me luck

#3 earth2398

earth2398

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:god there's so many interests... well first i love to make music! i'll play any instrument i can figure out. so far i love to jam on the bass, guitar, drums, some piano, and FLStudio y'all! check out my music at http://www.myspace.com/anthonymein<br />plus there's more at the bottom of my blog there too.<br />uhhh, i love to dance of course (gloesticks yay!), and chill, and meet new peeps so holla at me to say wats up<br />stay plur<br />anthony
  • Myspace

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

good thoughts. also there's a move where the two sticks move in circles like right about head level. this is how i do it but i know other people do it other ways:
always keep the fingers pointed so the length of the gloestick faces forward (duh)
then move your wrist so the stick moves kinda like a propeller on the front of a plane or the hand of a clock
now do it with your other hand in the same direction... here's the catch though, keep one hand behind the other, it's not like the figure eight in that it's one circle in one direction...
anyway, maybe i'll post a vid tut bout it, these things are hard to explain ya know..
:-)

#4 Puffa

Puffa

Poster

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(earth2398 @ Mar 29 2007, 02:27 PM)  

good thoughts. also there's a move where the two sticks move in circles like right about head level. this is how i do it but i know other people do it other ways:
always keep the fingers pointed so the length of the gloestick faces forward (duh)
then move your wrist so the stick moves kinda like a propeller on the front of a plane or the hand of a clock
now do it with your other hand in the same direction... here's the catch though, keep one hand behind the other, it's not like the figure eight in that it's one circle in one direction...
anyway, maybe i'll post a vid tut bout it, these things are hard to explain ya know..
:-)

You just descrubed the Helicopter, the staple of NYC/EC style. Its what we use instead of the fig8.

Not to be confused with Helicopter tosses of course. wink.gif

Ya ever notice how hard it is to use text to describe a visual medium like glowsticking? lol

#5 TrIbAl ViBeS

TrIbAl ViBeS

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

Not completely true, unless the city is different than the blowout rockin ravers of Westchester and Long Island lol tho yeah we do do the helicopter pretty often but unfortunately i could never get it right....

#6 Paul

Paul

Veteran Poster

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:33 PM

tribal.... it is completely true smile.gif.... nyc is the place where that move originiated... thankfully the internet has helped spread that move to a region near you...

#7 Puffa

Puffa

Poster

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

Yeah Im sure now moves like the 'helicopter' have infiltrated every area of sticking, and lets face it, Westchester and Lawn Guyland are a part of NYC as far a this sort of culture is concerend. I live in New Jersey, but consider myself a NYC sticker, cos thats where I plyed my trade for years.

Videos helped people from all over see the different styles. Lord knows I helped bring Cali style to NYC once I saw Dave, Gio, Paul and others do their thing. Every weekend I'd show up to the club with 'new' stuff that I learned from watching the vids. I gave all due credit and respect to those guys tho. And I didnt rip them off so much as incorporated their ideas into my own style, Im not a biter.

Ive been glowsticking since 1999, so about 8 years now. I can even tell you WHO invented the helicopter afaik. Get ready for this: it was a girl. =D lol

The first NYC glowsticker that I know of was this cute little Chinese girl. I forget her name now... dammit! Its been awhile. Anyway, she dated this Chinese kid named 'Star' back in the day, and she taught him how to stick, how to do the helicopter. Star kinda dissapeared from the scene after they broke up, but she started dating another kid named Henry, and to this day, I think he is my favorite glowsticker of all time. Back then we didnt do alot of complicated stalls and tosses, but Henry was as smooth as silk. Theres a kid named 'Koki' Ive seen vids of here, that reminds me of Henry a bit, simple but beautiful style.

So Henry and his girl (who started this all) taught a bunch of friends and they soon had an entire crew of great stickers. I dont mean crew in the battling sense, just a bunch of friends who went out together and sticked together and learned together.

So around the time when Henry's crew was in full swing, in 1999, I came onto the scene and met those guys and girls and became friends with them. I learned alot from all of them, and soon me and my friends had our own little group. We called ourselves the 'Five Deadly Venoms' I was #4 the Lizard. lol Again, we never 'battled', it was all friendship and love.

After awhile, Henry and his frinds began to drop out of the scene a bit. A few stayed, but most of them stopping going out as much. Me and my friends were still going strong tho. Then in 2000/2001 I got a taste of the Cali scene, a saw a few vids, and then GSC got started. I was one of the original members. I began to incorporate tosses and stalls and Cali style tracing into my own sticking, and taught these concepts to my friends, and the NY style began to morph into something new.

I dropped out of the scene around 2003, and most of my friends did as well. But now Ive gotten the bug again and Ive come back, and its great to see how much the scene has evolved, and theres really no more Cali style, or NYC style, its just glowsticking.

Anyway, sorry for the book, but I do know a little bit about the history, so I thought I'd share with you guys. =D

Edited by Puffa, 02 May 2007 - 11:17 AM.

#8 ono

ono

o_O

• Lifetime Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
  • Interests:Glowsticking and Megan.
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

o_O

#9 Renegade0Paradoxz

Renegade0Paradoxz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:56 AM

Okay tossing and catching the sticks isnt my main problem...I would have to say controling were the stick lands and how it lands is my problem can anyone help me with that???

#10 HeeYoun-Sohn

HeeYoun-Sohn

Hardcore!

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Interests:discovery, excitement, good times, good company, surprises, chill people, your face, dancing, sticking.<br /><br />KandyWalking, yeeeah.
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (Renegade0Paradoxz @ Feb 27 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay tossing and catching the sticks isnt my main problem...I would have to say controling were the stick lands and how it lands is my problem can anyone help me with that???

I think of this like throwing/tossing a ball or any other object. You have to watch the position of your hand, wrist, arm, etc. Factors like that can control the trajectory of your glowstick. Say, if you bend your wrist too much one direction, your toss will go at an angle. Also watch out for how much energy you put into tosses.

#11 HeeYoun-Sohn

HeeYoun-Sohn

Hardcore!

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Interests:discovery, excitement, good times, good company, surprises, chill people, your face, dancing, sticking.<br /><br />KandyWalking, yeeeah.
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (HeeYoun-Sohn @ Feb 27 2008, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think of this like throwing/tossing a ball or any other object. You have to watch the position of your hand, wrist, arm, etc. Factors like that can control the trajectory of your glowstick. Say, if you bend your wrist too much one direction, your toss will go at an angle. Also watch out for how much energy you put into tosses.
With stuff like that down, you can better map out the path of your toss.

#12 Renegade0Paradoxz

Renegade0Paradoxz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thanks alot I'll work on it.

#13 Renegade0Paradoxz

Renegade0Paradoxz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Myspace

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

Now I have another question. Basically to put as simple as I can I have trouble with toss combos because I tend to become very two demsional if that makes sense. The biggest problem with it is the fact that the glowstick in the right hand sees alot more action then the one in the left its real obvious when you watch.

#14 SpikeXkidiie

SpikeXkidiie

Spike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:57 AM

bump bump bump! <3

#15 HeeYoun-Sohn

HeeYoun-Sohn

Hardcore!

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Renegade0Paradoxz @ Feb 27 2008, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I have another question. Basically to put as simple as I can I have trouble with toss combos because I tend to become very two demsional if that makes sense. The biggest problem with it is the fact that the glowstick in the right hand sees alot more action then the one in the left its real obvious when you watch.

Practice different moves/combos with one hand at a time. If you're right handed - practice with only your left hand.

Sometimes my right hand seems to do more catches/stalls than my left, but at the same time there are some traces/threading I can only do with my left hand. Strange how stuff like that plays out O_o

#16 DarkAzura

DarkAzura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Learning new stuff and skills :]
  • Myspace
  • Facebook

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the overview of basics
I'll start practicing stalls and traces now.
Thank you :]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users